EMS Training Officer/AEMT or Paramedic
EMS Training Officer/AEMT or Paramedic
Company/Organization: Utah Navajo Health System
Location: Montezuma Creek
Status: Full Time
Benefits: Full-time Benefits include: Full health insurance, 5% of gross to a 403b retirement account, Vacation leave, PTO leave, Holiday pay
Location: Montezuma Creek, Utah
Full-time Benefits includes: Full health insurance, 5% of gross to a 403b retirement account, Vacation leave, PTO leave, Holiday pay, Wellness Benefits. Option for Dental Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
Very competitive salary
Work includes preparing and conducting training classes in various phases of emergency medical work, such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) skills, special equipment training, and extrication. Work also includes instructing departmental personnel in the basic procedures of sanitizing and disinfecting as well as in safety and security measures. The employee is expected to exercise judgment and initiative in analyzing and resolving all training needs and problems. Work is performed in accordance with department policies and procedures done within the guidelines of the office of Emergency Medical Services specific requirements and the local Medical Director, and is supplemented by specific instructions as needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Emergency Medical Services Director and the local Medical Director, and is valuated through observation and discussion.
- Ensures that training is provided in a consistent, caring manner to all UNHS EMS employees.
- Prepares monthly in class trainings as well as trainings for crews while they are on-duty.
- Works with the EMS Director to design just in time trainings to correct individual or service wide deficiencies.
- Plans, prepares, and conducts training in the care and use of emergency medical and radio communications equipment such as suction machine, oxygen delivery systems, backboards, immobilization devices, emergency medical kits, obstetrical kits, intravenous kits, stretchers and light rescue kits as specified in BLS guidelines.
- Plans and prepares training courses in the use of Advanced Cardiac Care with the use of monitors, drugs, drug calculations, etc., according to ALS guidelines.
- Acts as liaison to the state office of Emergency Medical Services for the department. Prepares and submits protocol changes as directed by the EMS system Medical Director and EMS Director.
- Plans, prepares, and conducts instruction in procedures for verbal and written reports and documentation on the observation and care of patients at the emergency scene and in transit to the hospital.
- Trains emergency medical technicians/paramedics in the techniques of determining the nature and extent of illness and injury. This includes basic procedures for extrication, and the procedures for moving and handling deceased victims.
- Responsible for tracking of employee continuing education hours and certifications. Will notify employees that are found to be deficient in an adequate amount of time for the employee to correct any deficiencies.
- Will work with the Medical Director to perform scope of practice examinations for new and current employees.
- Conducts orientation classes for new EMT/Paramedics joining the service.
- Coordinates the lead EMS training staff; ensuring proper training and oversight for all training staff (instructors).
- Will act as a paramedic/ AEMT both on a quick response type vehicle as well as on the ambulance when needed.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Skills & Abilities
Education & Experience: Graduation with an Associate's degree in EMS or related field preferred. Experiencing working as and in the development/supervision of a training program. Ability to interpret and apply medical research with assistance from the EMS Medical Director and EMS Director.
Computer Skills: Prior computer skills experience with Microsoft Office Suite in include Microsoft Visio. Ability to use Adobe Acrobat and other software programs.
License/Credentials: Possession of a valid Utah or nearby state driver's license. Certification by the State of Utah as a Paramedic/ AEMT and physically able to function as a paramedic/ AEMT as part of a two person ambulance crew. Utah instructor required, course coordinator, training officer certification must be obtained within six months. ACLS, PALS and CPR instructor certifications required.
AEMT/ Paramedic must be able to work in a fulltime position Monday through Friday 8 AM to 4:30 PM and subject to call back after hours, during holidays. Must participate with the local required on call shifts monthly for EMS coverage.
Must be able to understand the Navajo language.
UNHS EMS is a local rural frontier EMS program serving its local community members 24/7, 365 days a year. Staff are required to be flexible to work at required UNHS EMS sites, provide 911 response, interfaculty medical transports when needed.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Adaptable- Ability to frequently adjust to changes
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely
- Compassion - Ability to show kindness, empathy and genuine care
- Honesty - Ability to be truthful, maintain high level of confidentiality and be seen as credible in the workplace
- Integrity – Trustworthiness to a degree that one is incapable of being false to a trust, responsibility or pledge
- Judgment – Ability to use good judgment and discretion as it relates to following policies and procedures
- Safety-Minded – Creating a safe work environment; managing risks; reducing exposure liabilities
- Teamwork – Ability to work with others successfully and productively for the common cause and desired end goal.
Submission InstructionsApply online via UNHS Online Application portal
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Your Voice Has Power!
Join We Are Navajo in supporting sexual assault survivors! Learn more about sexual assault nurse examinations available nearby