Photo Credit: Tyrell Descheny
#MeToo. Now What?
Recently across the country there has been a #MeToo movement highlighting sexual assault, rape, sexual harassment and sexual misconduct. We want to let you know that there are services in our area.
Sexual Abuse comes in various forms including: a completed sexual act where there was sexual intercourse. An incomplete sexual act, where there was an attempted but unsuccessful sexual intercourse. Abusive sexual contact where there was touching or hurting sexual or private areas. Sexual abuse without contact where there was an intentional and unwanted exposure to obnoxious sights, verbal sexual assaults, etc.
Other examples of sexual abuse include any unwanted or forced sexual activity; Inappropriate sexual behavior in front of children; Not allowing a sexual partner to exercise their right to birth control; Hindering a sexual partner’s efforts to be protected from sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s); Sexual activities with someone drugged, drunk, unconscious, sleeping, etc.
If you are a victim of a sexual assault/rape/harassment you can report your assault without having to press charges. You are allowed to change your mind; if you want to go forward with pressing charges at a later time you can do that.
You can get a “rape kit”/ sexual assault forensic exam completed by a sexual assault nurse examiner without reporting. SANE services are available 24 hours, 7 days a week at most, if not all locations. The sooner after the assault the better in order to get adequate evidence. The examination also includes STD testing/prevention, pregnancy prevention, forensic evidence collection, and injury documentation.
Sexual Assault Nurse Examinations (SANE) are available at:
- ALL UNHS clinics-- just ask for a SANE nurse
- Blue Mountain Hospital- Blanding, Utah 435-678-4810
- Northern Navajo Medical Center- Shiprock, NM. Go directly to the ER (505) 368-6001
- Sexual Assault Services- Farmington, NM 505-325-2805 near San Juan Regional Hospital 505-325-2805
- Tuba City Regional Health Clinic- Tuba City, Arizona 928-283-3111
- Zuni, New Mexico
- Chinle, Arizona 928-674-7098
- Fort Defiance, Arizona 928-729-8000
- Mercy Hospital ER- Durango, CO 970-764-2100
- Southwest Memorial Hospital- Cortez, CO 970-565-6666
- Alburqurque NM SANE Dispatch- 505-887-7263
- 24-Hour Rape Crisis Hotline:
(505) 326-4700 or 1-866-908-4700
- You can also go to your nearest Emergency Room for services.
Visit our “CRISIS PROGRAMS AND SUPPORT” page for other services including victim advocates services, crisis centers and shelters. UNHS behavioral health is also a resource available to you. Know that you are not alone. What happen to you is not your fault. Your safety, health and overall wellness are the most important thing to us.
You can also check out RAINN’s (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) After a sexual assault tab for more information.
#CureStigma #MHM2019 #4mind4body #mentalhealthmonth
The perception of mental illness won’t change unless we act to change it.
During Mental Health Month, We Are Navajo joins NAMI and the mental health community to reaffirm our commitment to building our understanding of mental illness, increasing access to treatment and ensuring those who are struggling to know they are not alone. Learn More