UNHS Supported Education
“My grandchildren, education is the ladder. Tell our people to take it” – Chief Manuelito
Objective & Goals
Supported education provides for young people who are beginning to develop their adult roles. The supported education program is to help patients pursue their individual educational goals.
The youth/young adults will develop a sense of self-efficacy and independence. It provides an important step to help youth/young adults to use their innate talents and abilities to pursue their personal recovery goals. The support education helps and supports the youth/young adults’ choice to pursue higher to obtain a degree which will promote a career development to improve long-term work opportunities.
Who we serve
- Young adults
- 16-26 years old
- On approval age can be younger or older
- High school students
- College students
- Job Corp Candidates
Is supported education effective?
Individuals who participate in the Supported Education program have more access to educational programs, increased confidence with competitive employment, improvement in self-esteem, reduced hospitalization, and increased consumer satisfaction.
- Career Planning: Vocational assessment, career exploration, Educational Goal Plan development, course selection, instruction, support, and counseling
- Academic Survival Skills: Information about college, training programs, disability rights and resources, tutoring and mentoring services, time and stress management, and social supports.
- Direct Assistance: Help with enrollment, financial aid, education debt, and contingency funds; and
- Outreach: contact with campus resources, mental health treatment team members, and other agencies such as vocational rehabilitation.
Fact: Mental health and trauma affects everyone regardless of culture, race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
I, myself have been married and divorced from a 15 year commitment to a man whom physically, mentally, emotionally abused...More
#EducatedNavajo #EducatedNative #EducationIsPower #BackToSchool
Managing School Pressures
School can really add stress to your life – from exams to grades – find some ways to handle it better. Dig in for info and support for managing all that school throws your way. Learn More
Looking for a family event? Looking for something to do?
Check We Are Navajo's Community Calendar for local events including: basketball/volleyball tournaments, arts & crafts events, pow-wows, special events, Just Move It events, Support Groups, Community Meetings, etc. Learn More
#WeAreSacred #Pride2018 #NavajoEquality
It’s time to treat our LGBTQ members with respect and compassion.
We Are Navajo supports Dine Equality's mission. They envision the Navajo Nation as a safe, supportive & inclusive home for our gay, lesbian, bisexual, two-spirit & transgender family members. Their mission is to advocate & secure equal rights & protections for the Diné (Navajo) LGBTQ community & their families. Learn More