Wraparound is a team-based, planning process that follows a series of steps to help children and their families realize their hopes and dreams.
The wraparound process also helps make sure children and youth grow up in their homes and communities. It is a planning process that brings people together from different parts of the whole family’s life. With help from a facilitator, people from their family’s life work together, coordinate their activities, and blend their perspectives of the family’s situation.
At the beginning of the process, you will be asked to identify your family’s strengths, needs, and cultural background. This assessment will help the team better understand your family. You will meet with your team to develop a plan which will change regularly as it is evaluated to determine effectiveness.
Wraparound Team is the name given to the group of people brought together to help the child and the family. The child and family will be asked to identify people to serve on the team. These team members will be those who can assist with community services and personal support.
Among others, team members may include professionals from community agencies, religious/faith representatives, neighbors, family, friends, relatives, and extended family members. Team members assist families by being supportive of the family’s goals/plans and believing in the family’s abilities to manage their own lives.
Families can expect
- Team meetings to be held on a regular basis
- Receiving copies of all plans and reports
- Being asked to sign release papers allowing the facilitator to contact providers
- Having their needs and desires at the forefront of the Wraparound process
- Team members accepting assignments to help implement and achieve the plan
What families are reporting about Wraparound
- Feeling strengthened instead of helpless
- Seeing family’s strengths instead of problems
- Finding hope in the future ahead
What professionals are reporting about Wraparound
- Increase in agency collaboration
- Stronger strength-based approach
- Increase in effectiveness of services
It is up to you to decide if you want to participate in the Wraparound process. If you do decide to participate you can withdraw at any time and without giving a reason. If you decide to withdraw there will be no penalty or loss of benefits to you. If you do not participate in the Wraparound process it will not affect the care you may be receiving from your Family Resource Facilitator. He/she will continue to provide the services you were getting from them.