Happy Healthy Communities
Photo Credit: Danielle Shirley
Signs of a Happy, Healthy Community
- Children and elders feel nurtured, loved and secure.
- All people feel valued; understanding and feeling the importance of their place in the community.
- The only gossip is “good gossip”; people observe and tell each other the “good thing” they have seen someone doing
- Trust is given and trust is felt because people tell each other the truth and don’t feel they have to sabotage or pull another person down to build themselves up
- The community is alcohol and substance free because there is no longer a need to medicate the pain of the past or the hurt of the present
- Wealth is determined by what you give rather than what you get
- Cooperation, not competition, is the force behind action.
- The land and animals are healthy because they are respected as relations
- All relationships are characterized by a generous spirit that offers help (takes initiative) and follows through with respect, compassion and trust.
- Doors do not need to be locked
- Tradition, culture, and spirituality are woven into the fabric of all programs and activities
- Gratitude for community, family and the land is felt and expressed each day
*S.P.I.R.I.T.S.: strategies for prevention, intervention & resilience in teaching for success.
Don’t stay silent. It’s time to speak up all month long.
Domestic and intimate partner violence are issues that no one should have to experience but if we learn the warning signs, provide support and are able to reach out to those that need it most, we can impact the cycle of violence. Learn More